Dawn of the Dinosaurs
2000. Acrylic on acetate. 20"x30".
The very earliest dinosaurs appeared in the middle of the Triassic period about 235 million years ago. They were relatively small at first, until the arrival of Plateosaurus. Almost thirty feet long and weighing up to four tons, Plateosaurus was the biggest land-animal that had ever lived. This giant reptile appeared about 216 million years ago during the "Dawn of the Dinosaurs".
- Genus Name: Plateosaurus ("flat lizard")
- Type Species: * P. engelhardti (von Meyer, 1837)
- Length: about 28 feet (9 meters)
- Weight: 1-3 tons
- Time: 216-210 million years ago (Late Triassic)
- Place: Germany, Switzerland, France
- Diet: plant-eater (herbivore)
All images are protected by copyright. Permission to reproduce any image must be obtained by writing to:
email@example.com. Please see our Image Use page for more information.